Gone are the days when digital picture formats were unacceptable. Back then, there was no choice but to employ professional photo services. However, in recent times, it is possible to file an online passport application from the comfort of your home. Knowing how to take your own passport photo at home might be something you have not really thought about but this guide can even help you cut out any unnecessary trips to a professional photo service.
Are you looking for the right ways to take your own passport picture at home? If so, you have nothing to worry about. All you need is a phone and the information provided in this guide will help you make informed decisions. Now, let’s dive in!
Can I Take Passport Photo At Home?
Yes, you can take your passport photos at home. Regardless of the use, it is good to know that you can easily take your passport photo at home. Below is an introduction to the step-by-step guide that can help you achieve this:
Take Your Passport Photo
However, if you do not have such, simply tape up a large white paper sheet on the wall, without making the edge visible in the photo. You should not stand in direct sunlight on a sunny day to avoid having shadows in the photo. Another good way of doing this is to use a flash.
Since selfies cannot be accepted as passports. You can simply have a friend take a photo of your head. However, the photo must be tailored to meet all requirements.
Upload and Resize to Meet Requirements
You must upload the photos while making sure it is resized appropriately. You will find various sites where you can upload your photo and format it to the appropriate size of 2 x 2 inches (51 x 51 mm). Regardless of the site, you choose all you need to do is follow their instructions to ensure that you upload and size your photos appropriately, you can upscale photos with our AI software on this page.
Also, you can resize a photo to the correct size on the next sites:
Complete the Process
Depending on what you need the passport for, you must attach the photo appropriately to the application. You can do this with 4 different staples in the corners close to the edge. If the application is for a new passport, you can take the photo to an acceptance facility.
Pose and Expression
Your facial and body expressions must be appropriate to take a passport photo. How do you pose for a passport photo? The list below will explain better:
- Your eyes must be open.
- You can either snap with a neutral expression or a natural smile.
- The photo must be characterized by a full-face view. That is, looking up or sideways is not allowed.
- For babies, they are allowed to lie on their backs on a white blanket.
- Young children do not need to maintain eye contact with the camera.
Attire, Hats, Glasses, and Hair
Taking a passport photo at home requires that you acquaint yourself with the right attire or hair. You can learn more from the lists below:
- You should not wear glasses.
- What you wear should be an everyday attire. Uniforms or anything that looks like camouflage cannot be worn.
- Hair must not cover your face.
- You must not wear a hat, cap, or any head covering. Exceptions are made for medical and religious reasons, there must be a signed note that is attached to your application.
- For any medical or religious exception, you must ensure that the head covering does not cover your headline and your full face must be visible.
Also, you can read a requirement for passport photos in US here.